David needed to prepare to meet Goliath. Let's transform (yes, same idea as "Transformers") David the shepherd into David the warrior.
Great especially for boys!
David Gears Up for Battle
The Bible verse First Samuel 17:40 tells us exactly what David finally chose to use to meet Goliath on the battlefield.
Doodle and talk.
Have the students meet the objectives and answer the questions below while they doodle the objects mentioned in 1 Samuel 17:40 onto the page.
Objective: Figure out why David chose only certain things to do battle with.
Boys especially will enjoy reading David up for battle with the slingshot, stones etc. Allow the class to add any armour, reminding them that David removed all the heavy gear before battle. REMIND THE CLASS THEY CAN DRAW IN THE SHIELD BEARER!
God gave the boy David, who was an unlikely warrior, the brain power to figure out a way to overcome Goliath in a super simple way! Learn that God can help YOU with BIG Problems.
Learn where the stories about David are found in the Bible.
|First Samuel chapter 17|
1. Read aloud all of Samuel printed below. Re-read 1 Samuel 17:40 to determine what David finally chose to use to meet Goliath on the battlefield. (It's printed on the page)
2. Doodle these additions to the picture of David - add items in the verse 1 Samuel 17:40.
3. TEACHER ASK: Read the verses BEFORE 1 Samuel 17:40 again to find out what David rejected to use in his meeting with Goliath. On the blackborad or paper on the wall or dry erase board, Make a list of everything David tried on or was asked to try on and then cross off what he did not use in the end.
4. TEACHER TELL: Notice these stories about David are NOT in any book of David in the Bible, the David Stories are in the First Book of Samuel! Samuel was the "kingmaker" of his time, directed by God.
5. TEACHER ASK: who or what was the big problem in this story? (Goliath)
6. TEACHER ASK: how did David get himself into the position of facing off with Goliath - meaning, how did he justify he could do it? 1Sa 17:36-37 (Emphasize this is David's statement of faith that God will help him. It answers your objective)
7. TEACHER ASK: What did Goliath say to David?
8. TEACHER ASK: What did David tell Goliath? 1Sa 17:4-46
9. TEACHER ASK: What happened in the end?
10. TEACHER ASK: Do you think if David had all the armor available today, would he have worn it? (Remember Goliath would also have modern equipment available to him today.)
TELL: With God you can be smarter to overcome situations bigger than you are!
|(Part of the verses)|
1Sa 17:36 Your servant has killed both lions and bears; and this .... Philistine shall be like one of them, seeing he has defied the armies of the living God."
1Sa 17:37 And David said, "The LORD who delivered me from the paw of the lion and from the paw of the bear, will deliver me from the hand of this Philistine." And Saul said to David, "Go, and the LORD be with you!"
1Sa 17:38 Then Saul clothed David with his armor; he put a helmet of bronze on his head, and clothed him with a coat of mail.
1Sa 17:39 And David girded his sword over his armor, and he tried in vain to go, for he was not used to them. Then David said to Saul, "I cannot go with these; for I am not used to them." And David put them off.
1Sa 17:40 Then he took his staff in his hand, and chose five smooth stones from the brook, and put them in his shepherd's bag or wallet; his sling was in his hand, and he drew near to the Philistine.
1Sa 17:41 And the Philistine came on and drew near to David, with his shield-bearer in front of him.
1Sa 17:42 And when the Philistine looked, and saw David, he disdained him; for he was but a youth, ruddy and comely in appearance.
1Sa 17:43 And the Philistine said to David, "Am I a dog, that you come to me with sticks?" And the Philistine cursed David by his gods.
1Sa 17:44 The Philistine said to David, "Come to me, and I will give your flesh to the birds of the air and to the beasts of the field."
1Sa 17:45 Then David said to the Philistine, "You come to me with a sword and with a spear and with a javelin; but I come to you in the name of the LORD of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have defied.
1Sa 17:46 This day the LORD will deliver you into my hand, and I will strike you down, and cut off your head; and I will give the dead bodies of the host of the Philistines this day to the birds of the air and to the wild beasts of the earth; that all the earth may know that there is a God in Israel,
1Sa 17:47 and that all this assembly may know that the LORD saves not with sword and spear; for the battle is the LORD'S and he will give you into our hand."
1Sa 17:48 When the Philistine arose and came and drew near to meet David, David ran quickly toward the battle line to meet the Philistine.
1Sa 17:49 And David put his hand in his bag and took out a stone, and slung it, and struck the Philistine on his forehead; the stone sank into his forehead, and he fell on his face to the ground.
1Sa 17:50 So David prevailed over the Philistine with a sling and with a stone, and struck the Philistine, and killed him; there was no sword in the hand of David.
1Sa 17:51 Then David ran and stood over the Philistine, and took his sword and drew it out of its sheath, and killed him, and cut off his head with it. When the Philistines saw that their champion was dead, they fled.
1Sa 17:52 And the men of Israel and Judah rose with a shout
THE MICROSOFT WORD PAGE WITH DAVID:
If you choose to "Open" the Word Document, to return to this page, use your browser's "BACK" button
*About the materials used in our projects:
Sunday School Resources FOR KIDS
from the Sunday School Director of Christian Education of Faith Congregational Church, Mount Prospect, Illinois
©2011 Jo Dibbern
Activities and crafts for Children's Religious Education, Christian Education, Sunday School and Home School